Russian Formalism was brought up at the very beginning of this chapter and I found it very interesting that it claimed that this formalism is what revolutionized our American poetry in the 1930's. I saw that there was no more information about the Russian formalists so I took it upon myself to look more into it. I read that those scholars were highly influential and revered so therefore what they said was believed to be truth. I see that they were held as a very prestigious group that could not really questioned. So, I see that what they said was deemed as fact. It influenced the heavy thinkers like Mikhail Bakhtin and Yuri Lotman. I can now see how important people can influence how others think.
In the section where it talks about art, I found it to be very intrigueing how they claimed that art expresses emotions. I find it beautiful that we can express what we have been through just by a mere picture of art. I love that art can create different emotions in each person but everyone feeling connected in some way.
Another part of the chapter that I loved was form of how a story usually unfolds. They start out with innocence (maybe a young child) and then the person's character is tested which into a warfare against good and evil. How the end pans out is always a different outcome and situation. I liked how that section showed that when one becomes an adult, they put away childish dreams. It is very realistic, almost too realistic which makes it even more depressing. The world is what makes us plummet into that "downward spiral" which makes us emotionally distressed and then suddenly we have to grow up. Obstacles in our lives are what makes us realize that not all is perfect in this world. I find it to be truthful yet sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment